Sunday, September 19, 2010

School school and more school. Can you believe it's taken me almost 3 weeks to post after the first day of school? Yikes, I'm getting slower and slower. School is still a work in progress for Hannah. I would like to say that the first day of school was great, happy and wonderful. But...the first day of school was pretty hard for my girl. I couldn't get her out of the car. When I finally did, then we couldn't budge from the lobby. Even the principal couldn't get her to go up to class. We finally got out of the lobby and into the stairwell. Stuck there. Her beloved art teacher happened by, and wisked her off. Later Hannah said to me "well she didn't have to hold me so hard." I told her that maybe it worked, she finally got up to her classroom!

After that first day she was determined not to go back. Somehow Dave managed to work a "deal" with her and if she was the first one in the class the next day she would get $5. Of course, I am the one that has to enforce this "deal." I was surprised that it worked out, and Hannah was very concerned about being to school early the next day to be the first one in the classroom! Since then, she hasn't had a problem (phew!).

The first full week of school, we didn't quite make it through. I got my first call from the school nurse on Thursday afternoon. Hannah had a stomach ache that she thought was bad enough to come home. She came home and slept for 3 hours. The next day, Friday, she still had that stomach ache and missed the whole day. I found out that there were a few kids (in her class) that were out with stomach issues, so I think this is what happened. She just didn't bounce back quickly from stomach issues like she usually does if it's just her normal issue.

On to the 2nd week, Hannah made it all the way until Friday, with each day a bit harder than the next, more stomach aches, daily headaches. Hannah had a stomach ache last Friday that she said was a 7 on a scale of 1-10. We worked it out that she would go, so she didn't miss morning chorus and if she was still feeling badly she could call and I would come and get her. Got the call about noon and she came home to sleep the rest of the afternoon.

Week 3 (this week) and Hannah was explaining to me that she has headaches pretty much every day, usually beginning after snack time and before lunch. I have an email in now to her oncologist to see what his thoughts are. I'm thinking it's probably fatigue and the stress of the day. School is hard for her this year. We began modifying her workload after day 1 this year. That didn't happen last year until the end of the school year. She tells me every day that she doesn't want to go to school the next day. I wish it wasn't so hard for her.

Hannah does have a great support team in place this year. She likes them and I love them! After our first night of homework, Hannah spent 1.5 hours working. Her special education teacher checked in with me, and I explained our difficulties and she immediately notified all Hannah's teachers who got back to me right away and told me to "not let her work that much at home." They really have her best interests at heart, and I'm glad to have them.

I have lots more to tell you all about, some great things happening with Hannah's Cans for Cancer, and other fun and not so fun stuff so I'll be back soon!


No comments: