Monday, May 14, 2007

Now we know why they call it a plan for chemo, it's a plan that is an outline for the chemo, but changes and adaptations are always being made. These changes usually don't happen until the chemo builds up in your system and a drug might need to be reduced or elminated, but with Hannah, it's already happened on her first round. Due to the neuropathy, the doctor held her last dose of cisplatinum. Neuropathy is not a common side effect of cisplatinum, but it's not unheard of either. The doctor was afraid that if she received another dose, her recovery may be inhibited and she may not return back to her baseline. Already on Sunday, the day after holding the chemo and the anti-nausea med that probably exacerbated the sypmtoms, she was walking and talking better. Today she is even a little bit better.

She was given her other chemo drug today, the Etoposide, which is much less toxic. However, when we were ready to go, she spiked a fever. They waited to see how she reacted, but because she was just borderline, with her temperature hovering right below the danger zone, they decided to keep us here for the night. They took a blood culture, which takes 48 hours to grow. Until then, they are very cautious about watching her for infection because of her central line (her mediport). It's a serious condition if the mediport becomes infected and could be life threatening.

Hannah slept the entire day, as a result of the combination of the chemo, the anti-nausea meds and the effects of the radiation. I finally woke her at 5:30pm. She's happily watching a movie and I'm happily trying to sneak some food and liquids into her. Two popsicles so far, still working on some yogurt-thank you Aunt Josephine, our food angel.

Hope to report tomorrow from home.

xoxo
Kim

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Hannah Love
I have been away all weekend for my daughter's college graduation and this is the first chance to check your blog. I am sorry to hear you have had a tough go on this round of medication I pray your fever has subsided and there is no sign of infection. I am thankful your MRI testing was clear. You hang on my dear spirited friend ,we all pray for you and love you much. I keep your beautiful smile painted upon my mind and send you sunny blessings.
All my love
Mrs. Baker(Lynnis)

Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah
Just checking in to say we are all thinking of you and hope this is the hardest part and that the rest will go smoothly.

We all keep a thought for you, your mom and dad and Colby in our hearts all the time. Keep thinking about that whenever it starts to get to be a lot to handle. Just think of us all out there helping you get through.

Hannah, stay strong and remember how great it felt to be trotting on that horse - soon you will be right back there on top again. Cant wait to see a great photo of your smiling face soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi Hannie: We miss you sweetie and pray that you will be feeling better real, real soon. I still have your message on the answering machine so that we can hear your sweet little voice asking if we are home yet and that you miss us!!
We are praying that you get to go home and get stronger every day and will feel so much better when you get home.
Love you and miss you!!
OXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOX
Grampa and Gramma

Anonymous said...

Dear Hannah and Kim,
Hope this bump in the road to recovery doesn't take too long to get over. I miss you already - but am so happy you got to spend some time in school. If I can send any books or tapes along to pass the time, tell Colby to let me know.
Love,
Ms. Charters

Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah!

Angela from the Rainforest Alliance, just checking in to see how you are doing. Remember me?

I see you are having some challenging days, I am very sorry to hear that, but I know you will hang in and be strong and you will get through these tough days very soon.

I send you my most heartfelt wish that you will be feeling better very soon.

Wonderful blog Hannah, thanks for sharing with me.

Angela

Anonymous said...

Your Illinois family is sending all of you hugs and prayers to get through this first round and to overcome those darn setbacks!

We love you all very much and can't wait to see you very soon!

Love - Randy, Angela, Logan, and Noah

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Hannah Love and MOM too.
I was happy to hear you had a much better sleep at home than at your hospital stay. I pray you get your appetite back so you will receive good energy.
I miss your smile at school and await to see you again real soon.
Anytime, you are up for a visit at home let me know. Maybe you can show me all you Webkinz.
Have a sunshiny day and rest well.
I Love you much
Love & Blessings
Mrs. Baker(Lynnis)