Wednesday, Jan. 2, 2008

Big happenings at our house tonight! Hannah is sleeping alone in her bedroom and wants to sleep by herself all night long! Now that is BIG. It started last night when I had the trundle bed put away to vacuum. This is where I sleep, with the trundle right next to her bed, and have been since we came home from Boston. While in Boston I slept in a hospital bed right next to hers (and sometimes with her in her bed) and before that in a chair next to her bed. If I wasn't there, then Dave was. Since January 31, 2007. So for Hannah to want to sleep by herself, is such a break through for her.

We have mentioned to Hannah that after chemo was finished, she would start sleeping by herself again. Dave mentioned it to her recently, and she was dead set against it. I was totally surprised when she suggested yesterday that she sleep alone. She said she liked the look of her room without the trundle. She was a bit hesitant (and I was too, but I was trying not to let on.) So I suggested we get a monitor for her room so that if she needed me during the night, I could hear her (our room is upstairs and Colby and Hannah's rooms are downstairs.) So today we went off to get her a monitor (ie baby monitor). When we got there and went to the infant section and Hannah saw the picture of the baby on the package, she said "I don't want a baby monitor." I knew that was coming. We found one without a picture of a baby on it, just a "monitor" so she was satisfied with that. It's in her room, and Colby has now decided that she wants one too because she can broadcast everything on it. She gave us an example tonight! Once I told her that I would be able to hear everything she changed her mind pretty quickly.

Here is Hannah asleep and surrounded by all of her favorite things-her Tod, her many animals, her beloved quilts (some you can see and some you can not, but we have some very beautiful and hand made blankets and quilts), her favorite Hannah pillow, her Grandma's pillow (made by Grandma many years ago) and of course her two sleeping blankets. Now if we only had lambie (who was lost right after surgery at the first hospital, but never found) all would be complete.

So, I'm about to go upstairs to bed in my own bed for nearly the first time in a year. I think Hannah is handling this transition fine, and it's me that is a bit scared. Hopefully I'll get some sleep tonight! Moving on bit by bit, it feels pretty good.

xoxo Kim

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Hannah! I hope your first night sleeping by yourself went well.

Your cousin from Indiana,
Kimberly Bass