Wednesday, May 14, 2008

RELAY FOR LIFE UPDATE...59 LUMINARIAS!!!!


Our total is still on the rise. Thanks again to everyone for your participation. Here is a picture of Colby and Hannah working on the luminarias last weekend. Hannah is really having a good time making these bags. I took Colby over for her NYSSMA event tonight at the high school and Hannah was asking where the bags were so that she could work on some while we were gone. There is still time to sign on for a luminaria, just let us know!

So many exciting things happening right now. Make A Wish will be installing the pool tomorrow. I have a feeling that Hannah is going to feeling too ill to go to school, in fact we already told them she would out tomorrow! She is looking forward to taking tons of pictures of all the work tomorrow during all of the action. She already started taking some when they came to deliver the pool today. Here are Colby and Hannah (on top of the heater box) watching the men unload everything off the truck. It's hard to believe that this pool will be created from only these boxes! Our local newspaper is coming by tomorrow with a photographer also! They want to do a story on Make A Wish, and we hope to help them get the word out that Make A Wish is available to any child with a life threatening illness. When Make A Wish first contacted us quite a while ago, it took me several weeks to call them back because I thought Make A Wish was only for children with terminal illnesses, so they had the wrong family! That wasn't even a thought I was entertaining. Well after some prompting from our social worker, I did call them back and they explained to me that it was no longer just for children with terminal illness, but for any child with something that was a life threatening illness.. and this was Hannah.

Now on to something else so exciting-the Hats on for Cancer fundraiser. Cutchogue East Elementary is up for the challenge Anna! Hannah, Colby and I met with the student council this afternoon to discuss the idea, and the kids (and teachers) were very upbeat and excited about it. Just mention CHALLENGE and they're off and running. We are running it like Pine School, selling tickets for 2 days (our school actually bought hats-birthday hats, since the fundraiser will take place on Hannah's birthday) to allow the kids to wear hats in school on June 6th. I was so impressed that the teachers already had everything organized. They created an informational memo, prepared envelopes for each classroom to be able to collect the money, and had everything in order. Wow! I guess that's what teachers do so well. The student council will be making posters and promoting the event in their classrooms. I understand they have some other things planned as well, so we look forward to hearing more as we get closer.

All of the money will go directly to help kids struggling with cancer-like the latest gift of music we sent to help Kat- CLICK HERE to read her story. She has just been through so much, first the cancer, then the mass on her liver that continues to make her so sick. She could really use a break, so we sent her a little pick-me-up. Something about her just struck me, and I have been following her for quite a while.

Have a good evening and expect lots more from us tomorrow!

xoxo Kim

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH!! I can't wait for you to have that pool put in!! I can't wait to see pictures. I am so excited for you! I am totaly praying Miss Hannah that your leg pain goes away. And.. I love your luminaria dedication. That is wonderful. Wait til you see them all lit up. I cry every year! That's just me. Then when I crawl out of my tent in the early morning hours, right before the sun comes up, all the luminaria's are still lit, and it's so quiet. I just love that too, I think that is more emotional for me. Then when you least expect it, the school sprinklers come on and if your in the wrong place at the wrong time.. You get SOAKED! I hope I am not in the wrong place this year!

Have a good Thurday POOL GIRL! We shall call you Mermaid Hannah and her Swim Sister Colbey.
Hugs..
Amy.. Kasey's mom

Anonymous said...

Hey Kim, Hannah, & Colby,
Just wanted to let you know Kim, your old elementary school, Joy School also had a hats on day. The student council organizes this event every year. We sold stickers for .50 cents and raised about $150.00.
We love reading your blog and keeping up with all the great happenings! All the pictures are awesome!
Have a wonderful time with your new pool!!
Mary(Wenzel)Holkan & Bailey