Sunday, Feb. 17, 2008

I wanted to share this with everyone for Valentine's Day, but I'm a little behind. Growing up, Hannah used to write notes to us. Sometimes they were stories, and other times they were simply notes saying "you're the best mom, I love you" or "Could you rock me tonight, love from your baby Hannah." This is a note she wrote a long time ago, that is quite weathered from me carrying it around in my purse for so long. If you can't read it, it says "I love you and myself and everyone." How sweet is that?

Hannah had her first week of school last week, 5 full days in a row. WOW! Her morning nausea is getting better, it seems quite unpredictable. Saturday she got up, stomach hurt, and continued to feel that way on and off throughout the day. She did not go to riding this weekend, not because of the nausea, but because on Friday she hyper extended her knee at recess, and it hurt her quite a bit to walk on it. It is better already, it was just strained.

She did eat a hot dog and popcorn at Colby's lacrosse game on Saturday, but then ate 3 cupcakes for dinner. It just goes up and down. Dave commented that she seems to be acting like a kid again. That's a good assessment. She has some of her spunk back, she is eating more, although not consistently, and having some days now without significant stomach pain. Could this be life getting better for her? I sure hope so. When I think back to how she must have felt a lot of the time during the last year, it occurs to me that she didn't just feel badly. Feeling badly is when we have the stomach virus for 2 days and it goes away, or when we have a fever and it passes. She really didn't feel well, not a feeling I think any of us can really comprehend unless we have been through it. Only now that she is on the "other side" of this, and I see her continue to change, do I realize how bad it must have been for her.

Our next clinic visit is not until February 28th. That is only because I asked for her to come in to be accessed. Are you thinking WHAT? Hannah's mediport needs to be accessed at least once a month for it to remain viable, otherwise, a clot could form. The mediport is a central line inserted directly into a large vein the chest, so if it clots, there is a possibility of a clot dislodging and causing complications. No one at the clinic seemed to notice that Hannah had not been accessed since January 24, and would not be again until March 11th. I contacted them, and we moved her up to Feb. 28th. She will then have to be accessed again on March 11th for her MRI. That may be the last time. If the MRI is all clear, they should be scheduling surgery to have the port removed. Another milestone for her, I hope.

Not must else to report. The girls have this week off for our winter break. We don't have any big plans, a little here and there. We were hoping to meet Alec and his mom Amy for lunch at their house on Monday, but he was admitted for fever a few days ago, and although he is home, his counts are low so it is best that he not have others over right now. Hope you're better soon Alec! We do hope to see our cousin Sarah this week, for a get together. Hannah starts swimming lessons tomorrow and gymnastics (with me as her personal aide) next week. Both of the girls also just signed up for softball to start in March, and we'll just see how that goes for Hannah. She wanted to join, so we signed her up.

We will have a very exciting update in a few days regarding Hannah's Cans for Cancer project! Watch for more to come!

xoxo Kim

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim and Hannah-
I am so glad that Hannah is feeling better--It must be so nice to see her acting like a kid again! You taught me one about the Mediport today--No one ever told me that it needed to be accessed once a month---Kaitlyn's does anyway but that is good to know!-Can't wait to hear about the Cans For Cancer News!
Talk to you soon
Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Kim

If I can help raise money with Hannah's cans for cancer, let me know. I would be happy to supply a bike for a raffle item or something of the like.

Greg
greg@ctcycle.com