Monday, July 14, 2008

I haven't updated in a week I just noticed. I didn't get the results of Hannah's scans until this morning when I emailed the doctor. No breaks, but the foot shows signs of osteoporosis. Also, the bone age scan shows she has the bones of a 6 year 10 month old. That is good since the radiation will stunt her growth, and it will give her a bit more time to grow.

Today we visited the endocrinologist-a second one. I really liked him, he was knowledgeable and very informative. He had a few ideas regarding the osteoporosis/osteopenia, and ordered a few more blood tests that have to be in conjunction with a urine test at the same time. Hannah also has the dexascan next week that will measure her bone density. This will be the most telling piece of information regarding this problem. It's perplexing because her calcium and vitamin D levels are in the normal ranges, however I learned today that that could be deceiving. At times I think endocrinology is almost more complicated than oncology-or maybe it's because I know so much more about oncology than I know yet about endocrinology. With the thyroid and parathyroid and TSH,PTH, hyperparathroidism, non-pth hypercalcemia, pseudohypoparathroid,etc. etc. etc. it is very complicated because some of these things interact with each other, thus causing even more complication. I still have a lot to learn, but this is going to be an issue for a long time with Hannah due to the radiation.

So we have been enjoying the summer, swimming, birthday parties, tutoring, and very hot weather here. Not as hot as Florida though, that's for sure. Here are a few more photos from the vacation (from which I needed another vacation just to catch up). I just finished unpacking the girls' suitcases and now just have to finish mine. i know it's been 2 weeks, but I packed enough for about 2 months, so it takes a while just to unpack all the clean clothes! I just kept thinking when we were there..."this is what Hannah wanted to do, when she was sick and pale and thin in that hospital bed, this is what she wanted and we gave it to her." I hope it's something she will remember and cherish for the rest of her life. I know I will.

These are pictures from our day at Seaworld. We were treated to a special behind the scenes meeting with Shamu (really not Shamu, I think their names were Tiki and ???, someone help me out here.) Did you know there is not really a Shamu? There are many whales that play the part, but no real Shamu. The girls reallly didn't understand that at first. We were actually able to touch the whale, which is pretty unusual there. We were back there with a Make A Wish family. It is pretty competitive to be a whale trainer there, they have to train and work with the whales for at least 3 years to even get in the water with them. Then about another 4 years before they are able to perform in the shows. Most of the performers have been there for 10 years or more. It was pretty special. Here is Hannah too during the Shamu Rocks show-a bit loud, but eating cotton candy, her favorite. And the "walking wave" on the way out of Seaworld that night. We were there for over 12 hours that day!

♥♥♥ Kim ♥♥♥




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Miss Hannah, Your trip looks AMAZING! I hope you had the best time ever! I loved Sea World when we were there on Gina's MAW. :0) When you went did you see the show with the aerial acrobatists and the birds flying around? Gina loved that show. Well, keep having fun. Hopefully we'll see you before summers end. :0)

Bonnie and Gina
www.caringbridge.org/visit/ginamulieri